12.4.09

DON VAN VLIET : Old Fart At Work

Photobucket
Like me, you've probably come across umpteen mentions of Don Van Vliet's idiosyncratic working methods: giving The Magic Band cassettes of his untutored piano playing to construct entire albums from, or whistling melodies directly into his musicians' ears. And, like me, you've probably never stumbled across any actual documentary evidence of any of this 'til now. I found this link over on the Sonic Youth forum - it's apparently Don warming up for the Trout Mask Replica sessions. I dunno where folk keep digging this stuff up from but surely only a twerp'd complain!
Photobucket
From the same source, there's this link to what remain Don's most recent recordings: a fragmentary collection of spoken word pieces (c.1977-99) included as part of a signed, super-exclusive deluxe package called Riding Some Kind Of Unusual Skull Sleigh (initially retailing at a prohibitive £300 but going for w-a-y more than that nowadays) - nope, I'd never heard of it either. He sounds terribly frail on this later stuff but, it being The Captain, it's never less than 101% captivating. Long may he prosper.

5 comments:

  1. you may have seen this , but if not ... http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2009/03/captain-beefhearts-10-commandments-of-guitar-playing.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nifty.
    More Beefheart over here...

    http://snapcrackleandpops.blogspot.com/2009/04/another-chapter-in-lives-and-times-of.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for those, I'll have a peek at both shortly...

    ReplyDelete
  4. can't WAIT to hear this- thanks for finding this link and sharing it....
    what a treat!
    d

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd forgotten I'd posted these! Thanks for the reminder, it's about time I gave them another listen...

    ReplyDelete