4.4.09

THE SUNDOWNERS : Goat Songs EP (1993)

Photobucket
The Sundowners (named after the Robert Mitchum film presumably) was a semi-"secret" side project devised by the mindfuckingly beguiling Drag City organisation. Mistakenly pegged as a collaborative side project by Will Oldham & Smog's Bill Callahan* (they're actually responsible for a 7" apiece rather than appearing together, with Edith Frost steering the third*, I believe?) they pseudonymously released a trio of lowkey 7" EPs back in the mid 90s on Drag City's now defunct* Sea Note offshoot. Of the 3, only the inaugeral Goat Songs is out of print (hence it's inclusion here), due to of Prince Will's prominent presence no doubt. It comprises six short songs, all recorded in dramatically reduced circumstances, one of which ("Tonite Will Be Fine") manages to make Songs From A Room-era Leonard Cohen sound like Third Reich-era Residents (fine by me). Personally, I prefer Bill Callahan's installment - The Thing With The Girl In Her Hair, which you can still buy here - but Goat Songs takes me back to the time when I still hung on every off-pitch syllable that the infamously prolific Oldham issued. How times change. Less is more Will, less is more.

*Citation: It's Rachel Brooks from Movietone, not Edith Frost. It is an Oldham/Callahan collaboration afterall (according to Wikipedia anyway). Sea Note is not officially defunct.

8 comments:

  1. I wasn't on any Sundowners releases fyi! You might be thinking of the Drag City Supersession thingamabobber that I did with Bill Callahan, headed up by Neil Hagerty from Royal Trux.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, my mistake! Just goes to show that you can't believe anything you read on the flippin' internet, eh? . Erm, it definitely SOUNDS like you (hope that's not a backhanded insult?) - do you have any idea who might actually be responsible for it then? My copy's stashed away in The Shed so I don't have it on hand for further scrutiny at the mo'...

    P.S. Thanks for stopping by btw. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's the gal from Movietone but I'm not sure... it sounded like that to me, and if you google it I guess some other people think so too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, the plot thickens...!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmm. how to get the music without the fee/iq test?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just checked the link & it seemed OK - if you click on the highlighted "here" it should still work, let me know if not though... x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pete9.9.10

    Many thanks to all involved... may you live strong in peace and tranquility.

    ReplyDelete