7.5.09

SUDDENLY, WE ARE EATING SANDWICHES...

A couple of flat out stormers from the Punk Not Profit blog, a new 'un to me though I have an inkling that they've been up & running for some time. Definitely make time to root through their archives when you get chance 'cos they're stuffed to burst with choice posts:

So then, I was under the impression that there were only three songs on the original, pre-Virgin, Magazine demo but, nope, there are actually twice that. One of 'em, the fantastically titled "Suddenly We Are Eating Sandwiches", turns out to be a very embryonic thrash through "My Mind Ain't So Open" with totally different lyrics & a winebar sax solo. Though the rest of the songs here don't differ too much from their "official" counterparts, it's surprising to hear how wiry & tentative they are - particularly "The Light Pours Out Of Me" which is way more reticent & melancholy than the later, commanding Real Life take. The whole thing's so good that it almost makes up for the semi-awful night I had back in February when I travelled up to Manchester to see the reformed Magazine play their first hometown show in 25+ years - a great performance on the whole (not nearly enough Secondhand Daylight though) but soured somewhat by an audience of 75% agressive, domineering meatheads determined to relive their badass pogo heyday en masse at the expense of anybody who happened to get in their way (guess who?). Barry Adamson had a nice hat on though.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Even more exciting a discovery - from where I'm sitting anyway - is Eno's solitary John Peel session, recorded at the height of his post-Roxy glam phase circa Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy, & employing proto-pub rockers The Winkies as his backing band. The BBC's Keeping It Peel reckons it was recorded on 26th February 1974 by Tony Wilson ("another one", Peel'd often append) & I'm pleased to report that it's an absolute stormer. Though less sonically adventurous than his records, these versions are way more agigtated, amped-up & r.o.c.k.-friendly than the ones you're (probably) familiar with. The Winkie-fied Eno rips through "Baby's On Fire" & "The Paw Paw Negro Blowtorch", slams the notch violently to the right on "Totalled" (actually an electrfied "I'll Come Running" it transpires) & departs with a slightly ill-advised swagger through "Fever" (yeah, that one) - marvellous stuff & camp as fuck! Eno only toured this line-up the once as far as I'm aware, a shame as this session is so outstanding, but a year later he'd already packed the feather boa off to Oxfam & gotten himself a serious haircut in preparation for Another Green World. No more "idiot energy", as he was wont to refer to it...

P.S. Many thanks again to Punk Not Profit.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah I have lived with that Eno/Winkies set for a while...even quite liked the Winkies album back in the day (despite it having the most embarrassing cover!)
    Regards/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesssss, that Winkies sleeve has been burned on my retinas since I was a kid! Quite traumatic really, but thinking about it now I'd be quite intrigued to actually hear the record - I'll have a Google about for it later I think? Don't 'spose you've come across any live Eno tapes from his Winkies period have you - I'd be very interested to hear those...?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey man, thanks for linking us. You got a great blogspot here, keep up the good work! Thanks again.


    ___PunkNotProfit___

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks again for posting these beauties, I've been after 'em both for AGES... x

    ReplyDelete