2.5.09

THROBBING GRISTLE : Pastimes / Industrial Muzac (Industrial Records C60, 1979).

Pastimes
I'm sure, like myself, you frequently awaken to find yourself in that peculiar frame of mind that finds nothing out-of-the-ordinary in shattering the idle tranquility of one's breakfast time with howling cassette-borne gales of ferocious condenser-mic tumult (strictly '70s vintage obvs.) whilst poring over that morning's copy of The Independent & stuffing hot buttery crumpets into one's gob? This morning is, indeed, one such occasion. And amen to that.

Throbbing Gristle's Pastimes / Industrial Musac cassette (IRC 23) was originally released by Industrial Records in 1979, though it's been frequently bootlegged since. Neither titled nor dated, the formative - formless - frenzied - fearsome racket herein sounds like nothing if not a grief-stricken, Ketamine-soaked Tangerine Dream - Zeit on a Happy Shopper budget. Crucially, none of Pasttimes' contents has ever been officially re-released, as none of Industrial's studio tapes were included in Mute's TG24 or TG+ box-sets.

Essential listening, but don't blame me if it gives you glue-ear.

See Sixty

6 comments:

  1. Alright?
    Could you re-up this if possible?
    I'm posting TG's 24 box set and othger TG stuff, but I ain't got this!
    I'll put a link over to your blog on my TG post.
    Cheers,
    JZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not on my HD any more - bear with me while I dig the CD out of The Library. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okey dokey.
    I did have a file of it, but its mysteriously disappeared!
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bad news. It looks like I didn't keep a hard copy either, so the files went a.w.o.l. when Hotfile imploded. Hang on though, I have a TG-obsessed pal who probably ripped it from my blog at some point, I'll drop him a line...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good work sir. Linked up from Die or DIY and ready to go.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous27.6.14

    I LOVE THROBBING GRISTLE

    ReplyDelete