13.8.09

DAVID PELHAM & PENGUIN S.F.

Poking around in The Shed at the weekend, I found a few David Pelham-illustrated paperbacks that I'd totally forgotten I owned (Penguin science fiction for the most part). I've long been fascinated by Pelham's work, particularly his surrealistic use of airbrush, & was a little deflated to discover just how little information there is about him out there on the 'net (I seriously suggest you check out this terrific in-depth interview with him over at Creative Review, however - it's the finest article I've read about him). Arguably, his most striking, possibly defining image is his modernist Droogy archetype from Penguin's 1972 edition of A Clockwork Orange, though I'm a much bigger fan of his darker, nightmarish designs - his cover for Moorcock's The Final Programme being a particularly nightmarish favourite...
Pelham6
Pelham10
Pelham9
Pelham4
Pelham3
Pelham5
Pelham7
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment