6.6.10

FACTORY FLOOR : Bipolar 7" (2008)

Photobucket
Photobucket
"East London post punk posers" Factory Floor seem pretty much ubiquitous at present. They've already toured with Liars, Cold Cave, The Horrors & (splutter) Fuck Buttons, & both The Guardian & NME were quick to pick up on them & enthusiastically sing their praises (at inordinate length). I await their worryingly foreordained appearance on Later... with a sense of impending doom. Though I'd normally be gravely concerned by delirious hype from such dubious quarters, Factory Floor seem sufficiently ambitious, talented, & no-nonsense that I'm confident they'll eventually shake off the hangers-on. They're currently in bed with Blast First Petite & seem intent on pursuing a much more brutal, electronic/Industrial direction (with remixes by Chris Carter & New Order's Steven Morris in the offing) than the guitar-driven angularity of their earlier, post punk-referencing recordings. Either way, it's hardly the sort of thing to endear them to T4's numbskull audience &, thereby, I'm not prepared to write Factory Floor off as fly-by-night hipster fodder just yet.

Typically, it's those earlier releases that I'm slightly more fond of, particularly last year's excellent Planning Application 12" (out of print in theory, but still up for grabs if you turn over a few rocks). 2008's Bipolar was their debut, a swiftly deleted single on their own Outside Sound label. An edition of 500 orange vinyl 7"s, it's already long gone.

21 comments:

  1. Anonymous24.6.10

    anyone got Planning Application and the chris carter mix ... this was ace - thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen Planning App on a few blogs, but I'm not posting it myself as you can still buy it (providing you have a poke around). It's my favourite F.F. record so far, definitely worth owning rather than just downloading!

    I'm waiting for Blast First/iDoom to put the C.C. mix up for (legal) DL, can't afford to pay £8+ for the 12" unfortunately...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the Chris Carter remix now OK to post? Seems to have disappeared down the memory hole or am I not looking hard enough? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That C.C. remix is on iDoom for 79p at the mo', or I can send you an mp3 if you post your e-mail address here (I'll delete it straight away, don't worry)?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous27.9.10

    anyone know where i can get the liars remix?

    ReplyDelete
  6. IS there a Liars remix?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous27.9.10

    yes it was briefly on their myspace but disappeared- and its the best

    look in the left hand info section on their face book fan page here:

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Factory-Floor/27536464623

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm, it wouldn't surprise me if they're holding it back for official release as part of a larger remix project? FF seem quite slow in getting new material together, so I bet an interim "let's remix the same 2 tracks 4 times each"-type deal is inevitable?

    Let me know if you find that Liars mix in the meantime though, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous28.9.10

    Will do. BTW Nik Colk (Nik Void) has also released a cover of suicides Rocket USA which is also great. its on spotify

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha, I actually downloaded her Suicide cover a few months ago & didn't make the Factory Floor connection 'til you mentioned it! It's part of Blast First's ltd.ed. Suicide tribute series innit? The Bruce Springsteen one is "interesting"!

    I only clicked a few weeks ago that Nik/Nic was also in Kaito "back in the day", great band I thought?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous1.10.10

    well she uses a variety of names so its understandable.. and only realised she used to be in kaito after some research a few days ago- don't sound too bad but she has definitely emphasised her nicoesque-suicide vocals more recently in factory floor.. in any sense I am sure they are headed for bigger things - just wish they would release more stuff ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Saw Kaito live once (supporting Pere Ubu!) & they were terrific, much better than their Band Red LP if I'm brutally honest!

    Yeah, FF seem to work interminably slowly. I'm not holding my breath for an entire LP, but maybe they'll surprise us? They've been very quiet since the last EP, they must be doing SOMETHING?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous17.10.10

    They are perfecting their killer album i hope. Any recommendations similar to FF? I would go with Beak/Anika, Effi Breist, Joy Division,late Wire, the Monks, Suicide and HTRK. Very much a Berlin sound..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Blank Dogs? LoneLady maybe? Recent FF stuff definitely has a D.A.F./ early Portion Control / Klinik edge to it I think?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous20.10.10

    I'm very wary of a band that can already afford designer clothing...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I suspect they've probably been GIVEN their designer clothing? It'll be some shitty hipster London label trying to buy into FF's alleged "cool" won't it?

    But... yep, I know what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous1.11.10

    thanks for putting the rare FF import up mate its great- you know some of the songs are on the felt suit and lo light myspace (band member )pages ? they have some other little gems on there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I didn't know that actually, that's rather interesting! Cheers for the tip-off...

    ReplyDelete
  19. hey... would you mind reulpoading this? that would be sweet. x m

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yep, give me a few days, I've lost a lot of older posts in this week's Megaupload brouhaha & need to take stock... (thanks!)

    ReplyDelete