14.7.10

IS THIS MAN A FUCKING IDIOT? DISCUSS...

JM1
DMCA READ THIS: Despite once again including links to nothing but officially sanctioned sites, the following post has just been removed by Blogger for the third time. Why?

"WOODEN SHJIPS: Drunk Girls (LCD Soundsystem cover) (2010)

N.B. This'll make you hoot. Blogger have removed the following post TWICE now, without prior warning or good reason, at DMCA's request. In both instances, I was actually linking to an OFFICIAL stream & not, repeat NOT, hosting the song/file myself & thereby not, repeat NOT, infringing anybody's copyright. Conclusion: neither Blogger, DMCA, EMI Records or James Murphy's minions actually check the content of "offending" posts before spitting blood & barging in, with phasers set to "litigate".

So... I've now removed the link to those legal streams I mentioned & am posting this for the 3rd & final time. You can hear the song in question all over the internet at the click of a button or 2, or perhaps even buy it (I'd recommend the lovely 7" vinyl edition rather than a crummy DL, sanctioned or otherwise). If you've not already purchased the current, disappointing LCD Soundsystem LP I'd definitely suggest you take a cursory listen to it before committing yourself - it's a second-rate effort AT BEST. Tally ho!

Dunno whose gloriously deranged idea this was but, wow, it really paid off! San Francisco's hipper-than-thou nouveau psychedelicists Wooden Shjips pass the bucket & thrash out a grizzled take on LCD Soundsystem's terribly voguish (mwah) current single, utterly destroying the DFA template in the process. Wooden Shjips' fuzzy motorik version is actually available officially as the b-side of a limited edition LCD SS 7", so a deferential doff of the titfer to James Murphy for foresightedly sanctioning it but, really, the cover is soooo much better than the underwhelming, DFA-by-numbers original that he's probably been sulkily refusing to come out of the bathroom all weekend. Here's a thought: perhaps Murphy might consider commissioning more interesting folk of Wooden Shjips' genus to reinterpret This Is Happening (very satirical) in it's entirety as a welcome alternative to the utterly exhausted Remix Album Option? And if somebody can arrange a Suicide rework of "Losing My Edge" I'll quite happily top myself after I've heard it (you can bury me with the master tape)."

...we'll see how long this one stays up shall we?

6 comments:

  1. The entire DMCA thing is such a shambles I can't even muster the effort to comment on... oh, what's the point?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, um, exactly! The fact that they cordially invite you to file a counter claim & then totally ignore it is rather irksome though, eh? The whole DMCA "thing" (I'm loathe to call them an "organisation") seems misjudged & counter-productive to me, but perhaps I'm biased?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think the word is fuckwits

    ReplyDelete
  4. To put it mildly! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. LCD Soundsystem makes my flesh crawl with embarrassment FOR James Murphy whenever I hear them. Terri "you tried to hurt my ears!" Gross likes it - that's all you need to know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being a Brit I've not had the "pleasure" of seeing/hearing Terri Gross, though that's probably for the best by all accounts?

    LCD SS? They used to be SO good, what went wrong?? That last album is GODAWFUL, & J.Murphy's vocals are phoned-in throughout. Good riddance to 'em...

    ReplyDelete