18.7.10

MILTON GLASER'S BARD OF AVON

As is my wont on drizzly Thursdays, I was rooting about in a shabby bookshop earlier this week & pulled a dilapidated copy of Shakespeare's A Winter's Tale off a high, rarely visited shelf. Personally, I've never understood the appeal of The Bard's lit, my only memories of his work are uniformly depressing (needless to say, I've not revisited his oeuvre since college), but Milton Glaser's unusual cover illustration immediately caught my eye. Glaser's sublime, faux-Pop artworks decorated the jackets of Signet's entire run of Shakespeare paperbacks in the late 60s & remained in print throughout the 70s. If his style seems familiar, you've probably seen his iconic Dylan profile at some point (it makes a subtle cameo in the cover to Pericles, reproduced below). He's possibly most renown for designing the original, ubiquitous "I Love N.Y." logo however, an impressive (to put it mildly!) addition to any designer's portfolio...
Winter's.
Tempest
Hamlet
Romeo
Othello
Pericles
Midsummer
Caeser
Richard 2
Timon
Twelfth
Lear
All's Well
N.B. Apologies if I've gone a little bit overboard on the uploads this time 'round, I tried to choose my favourites but most of them are so gorgeous that it proved impossible...

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous18.8.10

    Wow... these book covers prompted a flashback to middle school.

    I've always admired Glaser's work - and particularly enjoy the tension that results from a sometimes overwrought drawing style and extremely clean design sensibility. These illustrations have that in spades.

    Great work on your blog... much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome Anon... spying them unexpectedly on that 2nd hand bookshelf timewarped me as well, transported me straight back to my dogeared early 80s in fact... x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous22.10.11

    This is wonderful. Congratulations on completing (or building) the set. I've done similar with Faulkner and Hemingway, but neither have been as visually interesting as these.

    Yours, Sherwood Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sherwood... I keep finding little pockets of Glaser illos all over the 'net - not only is he very prolific, most of it is also VERY good. All the monographs of his art I've found are prohibitively expensive, unfortunately... VERY frustrating!

    ReplyDelete