21.3.11

MIRROR/DASH : Come Across (2008)

Kim WC
MirDa
Of all Sonic Youth's many on/off side projects, Mirror/Dash are undoubtedly my favourite. An exercise in somnambulistic lo-fi guitar-based improv grot, they might just as easily have been conceived by a couple of bored, provincial, narcoleptic 14 year olds (with a pawn shop Tanglewood, a 10 watt practice amp & Dad's careworn copy of the V.U.'s Banana album at hand) as S.Y.'s Kim Gordon & Thurston Moore. And therein lies their charm.

Debuting in 1992 with the otherworldly "Electric Pen" 7", Mirror/Dash have sanctioned only a scant handful of records in the 2 decades since, principally on vinyl. Come Across - a CD - accompanied an exhibition of Kim's abstract watercolours at KS Art, NYC in March 2008, & was released in a strictly limited edition of 100 hand numbered copies. At just over 5 minutes' in length, I'm guessing you're as reluctant as me to cough up the inflated £50+ price tag it currently commands (it must be murder being a Sonic Youth completist these days). Reminiscent of Sonic Youth's earliest experimental recordings, it's eerie substratal sprawl perfectly compliments Kim's illusory paintings, & suggests that Moore/Gordon share an uncanny creative telepathy - not surprising, I suppose, considering they've been a couple since 1981? Incidentally, the project is titled after their nicknames for one another: "Mirror" being an alliterative pun on Moore, & "Dash" on Flash Gordon. As Come Across is so brief, I've bundled it with their trance-inducing May 2005 live set from Scotland's Le Weekend festival - if this doesn't convince you you to track down their records then, erm, you're probably reading the wrong blog...

You can read more about Kim's art, photography & poetry here, & in her Performing/Guzzling monograph. Mirror/Dash is also the name of her rather high brow fashion label.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mememe!! I wanted to send you an email but didn´t find any email address here. And I searched a lot for it!!
    Well, I really like your blog and come here often to check your new posts. I came to a lot of fine music through you.
    I´m writing now because I think my music could be something for you. And now that I made a new album I thought could be a good chance to show it to you. And of course if you want to the people who come here.
    So, here you can hear the whole album online, download it and also see the whole booklet:
    http://richardthere.blogspot.com/2011/03/if-world-calls-please-leave-message.html

    This is the first album released by the independent label Sleeping Horse Records.
    The idea of this label is to release more independent music in CD and Vinyl but also comic books. My first printed comic book was also released now by this label.
    If you need more information or anything more about this album just write me. (thererichard@yahoo.de)
    Thank´s!
    Richard
    http://www.richardthere.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Richard, sorry I took so long to publish your comment, it's been sitting in my spam folder since March (!!) - I didn't actually know that I HAD a spam folder 'til I found it, completely accidentally, approximately 60 seconds ago!

    ReplyDelete