29.8.11

THE CLEAN : Odditties (1982)

Photobucket
Oddi1
Oddi2
Clean1
Blimey, I've just noticed that some opportunistic scoundrel is flogging Odditties on Amazon for £140! Though it's definitely not the best place for The Clean novice to tune in, it's obviously a lot harder to find than I thought, so here it is...

Brothers Hamish & David Kilgour formed The Clean, with close friend Robert Scott, in Dunedun, NZ in 1978, but waited until 1981 to release their debut 45, the irrepressible "Tally Ho!", on New Zealand's rightly renown Flying Nun. Only the 2nd record the label put out, it unexpectedly made #19 on the New Zealand charts, turning a healthy profit & helping cement their position at the forefront of international independent music. Odditties was recorded throughout "1980-82 on a Revox B77 2 track (supplied by The Dead C)", & was "originally released as (a) super lo-fi cassette" on the band's own Cleano label in 1983. Anybody expecting a further dose of The Clean's breezily infectious pop-chug might be in for a bit of a shock, as Odditties frequently relinquishes the band's trademark chirpy jangle for shambling discord. The titular opening song is a veritable Clean classic, however, & there are several other threadbare gems buried amongst the detritus, so keep listening. As the images reproduced above imply, Odditties was a genuinely hands-on/ad hoc affair, to the extent that nobody appears to know how many copies of the original tape were circulated, or how many different sleeve designs were produced (!). Flying Nun briefly reissued it on CD in 1994 with a handful of extra tracks, & that's the version I've sourced here.

A second volume of Oddities, comprised largely of live recordings & covering the years 1979-84, was issued in 1988. I've never seen a copy, have you?

Band That Never Was - LINK REMOVED (Flying Nun reissue now available)

14 comments:

  1. I just saw David Kilgour last week. He is opening for Richard Buckner during a short tour of the States. It seemed like a bit of an odd pairing (they share a record label here) -- but the two men seem to respect each other's music. Anyway he played a fine acoustic set and included several Clean songs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the second volume and it is really very good. It has some Great Unwashed stuff on it. I will try to dig it out. It is on cassette only. If you are interested maybe I can send it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jonder, The Clean played London last year & looked like they were on top form (judging by the Youtube footage anyway). I need to track down more of David's solo stuff I think...

    Eric, wow, yes, if you can get a rip of Odditties 2 to me (eventually!) I'd be ludicrously grateful, I've never seen a copy & don't know anybody who has? Let me know...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will let you know when I have located it. Then I will see about making a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. martin8.11.11

    What would be a good starting place for these guys? I saw them at a fest last October and got curious. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, MY point of entry was the Compilation comp, but I'm guessing that's probably out of print now. Virtually everything on it - plus LOTS more - is included on the Anthology box set (3 CDs' worth), definitely worth your attention...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found out I sent the Cassette to Steve at Kiwi Tapes/Decrepit Tapes. So, I am going to contact him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds ominous! Let me know if you get it back though...

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks.I was looking for this band.I listened sound of this band in NME compilation.
    Sorry my poor english.
    From Okinawa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bloudie, the best place to start is Compilation - try & find a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Flying Nun have organised a vinyl re-release of this beauty: https://www.flyingnun.co.nz/shop/138

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the tip-off, link removed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, bought a cassette of oddities at a hospice shop... does anyone have any photos of other copies?

    ReplyDelete