11.2.12

SONIC YOUTH : Kali Yug Express (2002)

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
A quicky post. Sonic Youth's Kali Yug Express is currently fetching £100+ on Discogs & the like, which makes it ideal blog fodder, I suppose? A 3-song blue vinyl 10", a meagre 500 copies were given away with the French edition of the Murray Street album. Though recorded in & around the Murray Street sessions, these tracks were actually out-takes from the band's ancillary soundtrack projects, Things Behind The Sun & Demonlover, & reflect their penchant for freeform, experimental improvisation. Kali Yug Express was also released as an extended promotional CD, though the additional songs thereon were merely selections from the band's pre-Geffen back catalogue, as per the Screaming Fields Of Sonic Love compilation.

n.b. In Japan, Murray Street was appended with an exclusive bonus track, "Street Sauce", which I've yet to hear. If anybody can slip me an mp3 of it I'd be pathetically grateful (thanks).

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous12.2.12

    i have street sauce. how would i get it to you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Anon, my email = rooksby at rocketmail dot com - many thanks if you can sort something out for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this. While I have a lot of their material. (Like many I assume). It is ussually worth the time to hear their out-takes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Their non-LP is (obviously) hit & miss, but this is definitely a "hit".

    p.s. I still need a "Street Sauce" mp3 if anybody has one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7.10.12

    This EP is one of my favorite music material from Sonic Youth. I can't believe I've just bought one copy for only 5€!!! And a friend of mine found it for 10€. The copy on Discogs are overpriced I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice find! Discogs is generally overpriced I guess, but this EP is actually very good, in addition to being pretty rare, which makes a nice change...

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'Street Sauce' is actually a slightly different edit of one of the tracks from their Demonlover soundtrack. Nothing special.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coming from a fatuous no-mark whose blog consists entirely of 4th hand Youtube shares & screengrabs of fat cops, I'll take your nonchalance as a compliment. Off you fuck.

    ReplyDelete