8.10.14

NON : Sick Tour (Staalplaat, 1985) (Cassette recording).

Photobucket
 photo 40b1d19a-ca66-4085-9870-542464ce8e26_zpsb49ef277.jpg
Photobucket
Brace yourselves for a purifying blast of pitiless white (harumph!) noise, courtesy of Boyd Rice's Non. Recorded live in Holland on 8th March 1985, Sick Tour was originally released as a limited edition, single-sided cassette (500 hand numbered copies) by Amsterdam's Staalplaat label later the same year. A similarly scarce CD edition followed in 1987 (neither are currently available). Sick Tour is exceptionally well recorded, certainly in comparison with other Non documents from the same era, including his official releases. God knows what techniques Boyd employed on stage to create this racket, multiple cassette decks possibly, but it must've been a bewildering performance to witness firsthand! Reportedly, Boyd himself requested a copy of the original CD via Myspace, so I'm assuming he didn't sanction it's release beforehand.

30 years down the line & I'm still on the fence, re: Boyd & his "politics". Needless to say, if you find him or his work offensive then, erm, that's probably the point.

Sick

8 comments:

  1. Good to see you back.Like the new look, and I wanted this tape.So everyone's happy.
    Cheers,
    JZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. I'm going to update a handful of posts from a couple of years ago, then crack on with semi-regular new uploads as & when (i.e. when I'm bored & skint). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm bored and skint, as you may have guessed. Not for much longer,cus i've sold my house, and i ain't buying another! So my blog my suffer under your theory? :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. No house?? Where are you gonna store all of your Fuck Off cassettes?? Hey, I know... leave them at my gaff (never to be seen again). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second that emotion -- great to see you back on the blog. I have an SPK live tape (The Last Attempt at Paradise") which seems to be rare these days. If you are interested I'll be glad to share. It was from their first incarnation as a noise band, before they went disco.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cheers Jonder - I found that tape (but only very recently) c/o Johnny Z's blog. Give him a click, he has a lot more stuff of that ilk uploaded too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Sir,
    Thank you for this lovely little gem... My day was made!
    A.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this lovely little gem!

    ReplyDelete